The images above are a selection of awarded images from our 'Masters of Photography Competition' which was held on the 5th April 2022
B poses M by Bob Jinks, Red Deer Stag by Lawrence Fishleigh, Reflecting on Architecture by Mac Chivers, Forde Abbey by Jim Richards, and The Unenlighten by Judith Flacke
Judge : Kay Wilson
(Meet at venue by 7:00pm – See ‘Summer Programme’ for more details)
- 24th May 22 : Photo Review & Discussion
- 29th May 22 : Topsham & Bowling Green Marsh (Away Day – Meet 10:00am)
- 31st May 22 : Westward Ho!
- 7th June 22 : Torrington
- 14th June 22 : Photo Review & Discussion
- 21st June 22 : Brauton & Horsey Island
- 25th June 22 : Stover Country Park (Away Day – Meet 10:00am)
- 28th June 22 : Barnstaple
- 5th July 22 : Photo Review & Discussion
- 12th July 22 : Ilfracombe
- 19th July 22 : Appledore
- 23rd July 22 : Meeth Nature Reserve (Away Day – Meet 10:00am)
- 26th July : Photo Review & Discussion
- 2nd Aug 22 : South Molton
- 9th Aug 22 : Hatherliegh
- 16th Aug 22 : Photo Review & Discussion
- 23rd Aug : Westward Ho!
- 27th Aug : Tamar Lakes (Away Day – Meet 10:00am)
- 30th Aug : Weare Giffard
- 6th Sept : Photo Review & Discussion
- 10th Sept : Valley of the Rocks (Away Day – Meet 10:00am)
Programme for 2022 – 2023 Season
Meetings start at 7:30pm .
- 13th Sept : Introduction Meeting & Show Holiday Work
- 20th Sept : Talk – ‘America as a Resident’ by Pedro Landers
- 27th Sept : Members Night
- 4th Oct : Competition – ‘Open’ (DPI)
- 11th Oct : Members Night
- 18th Oct : Talk – ‘The Quest and Beyond’ by John Hudson
- 25th Oct :Members Night
- 1st Nov : Competition – ‘Fauna’ (DPI)
- 8th Nov : Members Night
- 15th Nov : Talk – ‘Competition Photography – How to go About It’ by Goerge Reekie
- 22nd Nov : Members Night
- 29th Nov : Competition – ‘Open’ (Print)
- 6th Dec : Members Night
- 13th Dec : Social Night
- 20th Dec : Workshop – Christmas, Vehicle, Street, and Star Lights
- 27th Dec : No Meeting
- 3rd Jan : No Meeting
- 10th Jan : Competition – ‘Happiness’ DPI
- 17th Jan : Members Night
- 24th Jan : Talk – ‘Windmills of Your Mind’ by Barry Mead
- 31st Jan : Members Night
- 5th Feb : Competition – ‘Bideford’ (Print)
- 14th Feb : Members Night
- 21st Feb : Talk – ‘An Evening with John Perriam’
- 28th Feb : Members Night
- 7th March : Competition – ‘Creative’ (DPI)
- 14th Mar : Members Night
- 21st Mar : Talk – ‘Svalbard and the Russian High Arctic’ by Chris Marsham
- 28th Mar : Members Night
- 4th Apr : Competition – ‘Masters of Photography’ (Print)
- 10th Apr : Competition – 3B’s
- 18th Apr : Members Night
- 25th Apr : AGM
- 2nd May : Members Night
Competition Submission Dates
- 20th Sept 22: Open (DPI)
- 18th Oct 22 : Fauna (DPI)
- 15th Nov 22 : Open (Print)
- 20th Dec 22 : Happiness (DPI)
- 24th Jan 23 : Bideford (Print)
- 21st Feb 23 : Creative (DPI)
- 21st Mar 23 : ‘Masters of Photography’ (Print)
- 4th Oct : ‘Open’ (DPI) – Any Subject
- 1st Nov: ‘Fauna’ (DPI) – Bugs, Birds,Reptile, and Mammals – Large or Small, Pet or Wild. One or more animal as the main focus
- 29th Nov : ‘Open’ (Print) – Any subject
- 10th Jan : ‘Happiness (DPI) – This could be a person or people having fun, playful animals or even object / objects. Anything which evokes happiness in some way.
- 7th Feb : ‘Bideford’ (Print) – Landscapes and more from the local area including local people, palces, communities, events, history etc.
- 7th Mar : ‘Creative’ (DPI) – Unusual effects, angles, double exposures, composites, photography styles eg. impressionist. Just for fun
- 4th Apr : ‘ Master of Photography’ (Print)
Members can enter an image for each up to six of the
Portrait – Studio, street or environmental portrait of a
Land/seascape – Rural, urban, or aquatic image of an
Creative – In camera or post processing techniques used
to create or change a photo(s) into a creative art image.
Close up/macro – A shot that tightly frames an object,
displays detail, but doesn’t include the broader scene or
environment or, a shot in which the size of the subject in
the photograph is greater than life size.
Architecture – Any building, buildings or other man made
Action – Where movement is captured.
Lowlight – Outdoor after sunset or indoor where there is
no daylight entering and using only available light.
Nature – Flora, fauna or natural phenomena. May include farm animals though, not pets.
If you are keen to improve the quality and range of your photography.
Why not come along and discover how our friendly group can assist you.
About the group…
Bideford Camera Club was formed in 1902, but even over 100 years later, the basics of photography remain much the same.
So, whether you just want to get more out of the camera on your smartphone, or to use a more advanced camera of any type, we have members able to help you.
We believe photography should be fun, so although some of our members enter external competitions and the group is fully affiliated to The Western Countries Photographic Federation and The Photographic Alliance of Great Britain, others are just as happy to meet up to share and discuss their images on an informal basis.
We are a friendly Group, based in North Devon, with a passion for all kinds of photography.
In 2022 the members decided to change the name of ‘Bideford Camera Club’ to ‘Bideford District Photography Group’ as we feel that the name better reflects the demographics and membership of the group.
The image is the important aspect of photography and how you creatively get there, rather than the equipment you use. So whether you use a phone, a digital or analogue camera we hope by joining us you will be able to improve your photography to take better photos.
A taste of what we do...
Regular indoor group evenings, both social and technical.
Any level of experience supported: basic and more advanced camera and software tution.
Mentors available if required.
Regular competitions at various experience levels (but no pressure to participate: photography should also be fun!)
Varied programme throughout the year, with extra meetings at external photogenic locations
Where & when do we meet
Our location… (go to ‘Where to Find Us‘ for full details)
We are easy to find in the centre of Appledore with easy access and parking
at the Churchfields long stay car park on the sea front (free after 6:00pm).
Blue Lights Hall, Vernons Lane, Appledore, EX39 1QU
How much does it cost?
Come and join us for one of our Evening Meetings to find out what we do.
If you would like to join, membership is £58.00p per annum.
So Why Not Join Now ?
This will give you access to our weekly meetings up to the AGM in 2023, plus our 2022 & 2023 summer program of weekly local photo shoots and our other photo excursions.